A pie crust is quick and easy to make and scrumptious for quiche or vegan vegetable pie. And by easy to make, we mean, mix it up and press it into an oiled pie plate. No need to refrigerate or roll out. Fill it with your favorite quiche recipe!
Thanks to O fan and renowned chef, Leslie Cerier, for this recipe. As an author, educator, and wellness coach, she specializes in organic, vegan, and gluten-free cooking. Leslie is passionate about helping people expand their palettes for health, vitality, and pleasure, and leads cooking workshops and chef training worldwide. www.lesliecerier.com
Makes 1, 9-inch pie crust
- 1/2 cup organic ground flax seeds
- 1 cup ivory or brown Teff flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup O California Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil + 1/2 teaspoon for oiling the pie plate
- 1/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Lightly oil a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan with ½ teaspoon olive oil.
- To make the crust, combine the flour, ground flax seeds, O California Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and salt in a medium-size bowl and stir until well combined.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared pie pan and use your fingers to press it out in an even layer over the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- Poke a few holes in the dough with a fork.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until the crust loses its shine and is lightly browned. Remove from the oven and add your pie filling.
What is Teff, you ask? It’s an ancient grain originally from Ethiopia that is high in calcium. You can find it online here, or substitute it with quinoa or tapioca flour.